Okay… Not really… But sort of.
Digestion seems to be an issue for two kinds of people: women and athletes. I’m not saying this is for everyone, but the more women I talk to the more I realize they all have issues with digestion. The more athletes I talk to, the more I realize I’m not the only one who’s had issues during a long run out in the middle of nowhere…
I spent some months in Africa a couple years ago and really didn’t “use the bathroom” for the first month… I don’t remember how far into the trip we were when it finally happened… During a run. In the middle of nowhere… It was quite humorous. TMI?
Active.com has some great tips for digestion for athletes.
Here’s what I gathered:
- Eat the most @ lunch. Dinner should be smaller so that your body is not working to digest a whole lot food while you are trying to sleep.
- Your stomach is about the size of your two hands cupped together. Don’t eat much more than this.
- Fruits should be eaten an hour before or after a meal, not with a meal. Fruits ferment during the digestion process and can interfere with the digestion of other foods.
- Fruit should not be eaten with dairy… Hmm, I do this often… They say the acidity in the fruit can rot the milk. Eek.
- Limit meals to no more than 3 different foods.
- Drink 1/2 C warm water before a meal to get your digestive juices flowin’.
- Don’t drink during a meal, especially cold water.
- Eat mindfully. Think about each bite or drink – this is the one I need to work on most.